Friday, October 14, 2011

October in Hawaii

Aloha from Oahu! My husband & I are here with our daughter, her husband and their daughter, Laela who was born 2 weeks ago! Yes grandchild #2 is here and we now have a boy and a girl.
This is the farthest I've ever flown and my first trip to the Pacific Ocean, it is beautiful and the flight wasn't as bad as anticipated.
While we are here we will spend a lot of time with the kids and some time sightseeing and shopping. I've already looked up quilt shops and yarn shops and really what else do I need to shop for? I brought a quilt for Laela with me on the plane, it's made with Winnie the Pooh fabrics along with bright read-as-solids prints. I hand sewed the binding on while flying west and handed it over shortly after arriving. My daughter has washed it and it has crinkled up just right to look warm and snuggly. For the most part Laela won't need a warm quilt while living here in Hawaii but it will be a play mat or stroller cover or a fort, who knows? I needed to make this quilt for my granddaughter like the several that I've made for my grandson, Trevor, who will be getting another quilt for his first birthday. This is Laela's second quilt, the first was pink Peter Rabbit fabrics with hints of turquoise.
Often grandchildren amass quite a quilt collection early in life and I can't stress the importance of labeling these lovingly made bits of history. Stitch a label, write one with permanent fabric ink or embroider onto the quilt but do label your work!
I promise to share a picture or 2 of Laela as well as Hawaii when I have a better internet connection!
Mahalo for reading along!

No comments:

Post a Comment